5 Ways To Talk With Conservatives About Climate Change
Can’t do that with progressives, talk that is. Many merely scream and yell and call people deniers (see the ending of this piece that is supposed to be conciliatory). These are some suggestions I found on Care2.com for talking to conservatives about global warming, which apparently they think will work,and my responses in red:
1. Climate change is real and it’s happening now. It’s happening all over the world and the poorest people are the ones who are suffering the most. If Conservatives, especially those of the religious persuasion, truly care for their neighbors, climate change should be high on their list of priorities.
First, they are suggesting…..an appeal to religion. Not science, but religion. Plus they suggest claiming climate change is already happening. (Of course it is—it always has. Tell us something we don’t know. Same for not using science in the argument. This is not going to win converts unless the person is easily “guilted” into a certain behaviour. And, again, this is not science. The actual science says the effects are not being felt and most of what is claimed is a desperate, last-ditch effort to preserve the “end-of-the-world” meme in spite of all evidence to the contrary.)
2. There are many causes that Conservatives can support, but caring for the environment envelops three of the key foundational tenants of this movement: trans-generational loyalty, the need for home, and the priority of local economy.
Try bringing in trans-generational loyalty (that term alone will alienate most conservatives since it’s progressive speak), the need for home (how that is supposed to work, I have no idea), and the priority of local economy (also a losing idea—local is good only in specific cases, not one-size-fits-all). Not a convincing argument.
3. Even though most Conservatives believe in God as the omnipotent designer of the Earth, it is important to note that as humans, we have the power to make our own choices. Believing in climate change isn’t an insult to God, it’s an acknowledgment of responsibility!
Believing in global warming is not an insult to God? Seriously, we just elevated ourselves to God’s level by saying we control the climate. A quick study of religion may be in order before anything in this area is tried again.
4. By replacing our energy sources with clean energy, we can reduce the human impact of climate change and therefore reduce the burden on the environment. Being good stewards of the Earth is a motto taught in Sunday School, and it doesn’t end when you walk out the doors of the church.
Now we get replacing our energy with clean energy as a suggestion. IF we had any, we would. The bird killing, bat-chomping environmental disasters called wind turbines and solar panels are NOT clean by anyone’s estimation, except in the minds of uninformed climate change believers. Land is destroyed, radioactivity is dumped in valleys in China, mines and chemicals are involved. Massive fossil fuel usage in transportation, installation, and then energy only when the sun shines or the wind blows. Thousands of miles of high-voltage transmission lines (the very ones environmentalist opposed in the 70’s). That is NOT a clean energy source.
5. And finally, teach your friends and family about conserving the environment. Start small with your children, capitalizing on their curiosity about the world around them. Moms Clean Air Force provides all the important resources to help you arm yourself with the facts and teach your family to stand up to skeptics and climate change deniers!
The piece suggests “Moms Clean Air Force” page. (I’ve written on the completely unscientific nature of Moms—this will not help the case for global warming believers trying to appeal to a rational listener. https://whynotwind.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/moms-clean-air-force-clueless-and-dangerous/)
Note, too, that they insult the very people they are trying to convince by calling them “deniers”, when there is NO science in what these individuals are writing. Perhaps if they actually looked at the science and could actually understand it, they would realize they are the ones going against science.
All in all, the suggestions are emotional appeals to try and get people to mindlessly agree with the global warming camp. Public flogging of those who dare to disagree might be more effective and would certainly be more honest. It’s all emotional blackmail, devoid of science. Is anyone surprised?
(Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/5-ways-to-talk-with-conservatives-about-climate-change.html#ixzz45jRQSdbY)