Six Aspects of Climate Belief (in response to Six Aspects of Denial on “whatchingthedeniers”)
1. Never question the science. Just state you and everyone who is not a climate science cannot understand. This then becomes “taking it on faith” or believing in something you cannot prove or do not understand because certain people deemed smarter than you said it’s true. Stick with the “consensus” line and hope the listener will be bullied into going along. Intimidation is what science is about.
2. Maintain blind faith in the motives and integrity of climate scientists. This appears to be a somewhat naive view. Do we have evidence being a scientist makes you moral or holy, above the temptations of the world? These are humans beings, but treat them as gods and maybe others will go along with the idea.
3. Ignore any scientist who speaks out against climate change. Denounce him as “not qualified”, even if he has credentials identical to your climate scientist. Few people will check.
4. Ignore the cost of “remediation” for climate change. Accept that the only solution for climate change is stopping industrialization. Repeat often that humans can NOT adapt.
5. Appeal to “the greater good”. Emphasize sacrificing comfort, the economy and anything else required for the cause. Emphasize “do as we say, not do as we do” should any deniers mention the globetrotting nature of climate change conferences. Remind individuals we all sacrifice at different levels.
6. Acceptance reinforces the believers key philosophy. Climate change is to socialists as cat nip is to cats–they get high on it. It elevates scientists to the omniscient level of gods, allowing no dissent in one’s move to save the world and make it a socialist utopia. Wealth and industry threaten this dream and must be stopped at all costs. Most importantly, people need to be told what is good for them and what they need to do. The are not smart enough to be trusted with saving the world on their own.